I received a remittance from my friend in the US last week. It was a quick and easy transaction for me. It’s easy to understand why Western Union is the leading remittance service.
Here’s how my transaction went…
- I received an email from my friend at around 10am. It contained the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN). She also advised me that I need to bring two valid IDs.
- I immediately visited the Western Union website to check the availability. The website asked for my MTCN and name of the sender. I got information that the remittance was already available from any Western Union agent.
- I went to a nearby mall and asked where the nearest Western Union agent is without knowing for sure if there was one in the mall. True enough, there was one and I walked right up to the Western Union agent.
- I filled up 2 forms, each having almost the same information, but with a different format. One form was the standard form for receiving money. The second form was like a “registration” at the Western Union agent. Had I been a returning client, I would have filled-up only the first form.
- I was asked where the money was coming from (I needed to specify the state in the US where it came from), I was asked what amount I was expecting and from whom the remittance came from. I was also asked to present a valid ID — note, I was asked for just one ID.
- Within 10 minutes of walking into the Western Union agent’s stall, I had the money with me in Philippine Pesos. Very convenient! I received the money within 3 hours of the email from my friend.
Here are some additional information on acceptable IDs and some Frequently Asked Questions on receiving money via Western Union:
- Western Union – FAQs on receiving money
- Western Union – Acceptable IDs
- Western Union – Memo on Acceptable IDs
Contact Western Union:
- 888-1200 (Metro Manila)
- 1-800-1-888-1200 (free calls outside MetroÂ Manila)
- 0917-888-1200 (standard SMS charges apply)
As I mentioned, it’s no surprise that Western Union is the leading remittance service. A neighbor was raving about how fast the remittance service is, able to deliver within the same hour (depending on timezones and office hours). And people pay a premium to have this convenient and fast service.
eOFW is not related in any way to the companies featured in our articles except otherwise specified. We feature different companies for the information of our readers to help them better find services that suit their needs.
No related posts.